The Cooperative Department of the Ministry of Labour has responsibility for registering, monitoring, regulating and cancelling Cooperative Societies and Friendly Societies.
To guide, support, monitor and regulate Co-operatives Development in the ten Administrative Regions of Guyana, specifically, Co-operative Societies and Friendly Societies.
The Department executes the following functions in pursuit of its mission:
- Work with and encourage the Apex Body and other secondary bodies to assume responsibility for the Co-operative Movement.
- Process registration and cancellation in accordance with the Co-operative and Friendly Societies Act.
- Review and keep up-to-date the legal framework within which Co-operatives and Friendly Societies operate.
- Arrange for the audit of the records of the Co-operative and Friendly Societies.
- Inquire and investigate into the Constitution and financial conditions of societies and settle disputes relating to the affairs of Co-operative Societies by means of Arbitration under the Co-operative Societies Act.
- Provide staff for training and development of members of societies.
- Assess the performance of Co-operative Development in the Regions and give advice and technical guidance as may be required.
- Liaise with other Divisions, Ministries and Organizations that assist in Co-operative Development.
For more information, contact the Department on telephone number (592)225-8644 or visit us at1 Water and Cornhill Streets,